What else is out there?

I am always looking forward to finding new ways to my engage students. This week I was excited to see all of these new programs I could use and got to choose one to try. But which one should I try first? After reading Chapter 7 of the Bates textbook   my question was answered for me.

“One of the arts of teaching is often finding the best match between media and desired learning outcomes.”

I love using videos to introduce a new topic. I am constantly looking for attention grabbing videos on youtube that get my desired outcome. When I am feeling ambitious I do make my own videos on iMovie to show what happened with our leprechaun trap, to introduce myself at the beginning of the year, or make dance videos for our project in the dance unit.

The problem with this is it takes me an extremely long time to edit. I am putting hours in for a 2 minute video. There has to be a better way to do this.

I was happy to see that there were other options for making videos on the list provided. I needed to try one. I went with Animoto which “creates short, appealing videos quick and easy.” Perfect! I had the perfect topic, my baby boy. This is what I came up with.

As Alec and Katia described it did indeed make short, appealing videos. Animoto was quick and easy to use. The longest part was taking the pictures from my phone and importing them onto the computer.

How easy was it you may ask, I will walk you through it.

Step one- create an account

Step 2- Choose your video style

Step 3- Choose your theme

Step 4- Import your pictures

Step 5- Add your captions

Step 6- Pick your music

Step 7- Preview and download.

The whole process took me about 10 minutes start to finish.  I am then left with a nice memory video. The final product looks great.

Let’s Compare

Animoto

• Easy to use
  • Does not require much exploring
  • Finished product looks great with n0 editing
  • Does not take long time to create a movie
  • Harder to personalize (that I could see couldn’t add in different transitions, or choose duration of the clips)
  • Would only use this for pictures

iMovie

• Harder to use
  • Takes time to explore
  • Versatile
  • Can be very creative with your videos
  • Cool effects

My Conclusion

I would use Animoto again. It is very fast and easy to make videos. I would use it to put together pictures. This could be used for assemblies, parent teacher interviews, showing student work etc. I will still continue to use iMovie to make my videos for teaching and videos that would not just be a slide show.

2 thoughts on “What else is out there?

1. Excellent choice of topic! Such a cute little man! I have had students in the past use Animoto to create short videos to show their learning. I will have to explore this one further as Adobe Spark Video didn’t quite meet my expectations. Thank you for the share Justine!

2. If you posted what you made in Animoto, it didn’t work for me 🙁

That being said, I LOVE that you put the steps in this post. I have found as I read everyone’s post how many different resources there are and they have their own quirks and learning curve. The fact that it only takes ten minutes is a nice perk, most of my videos tend to take an hour minimum.

Have you tried Movie Maker? I’ve never been a mac fan and by extension iMovie, but I know you can make quick videos with it… but could you compare to the PC?